TwinTurbo.NET: Nissan 300ZX forum - Thanks for the wishes
People Seeking Info

Subject Thanks for the wishes

Posted by flashstar on June 26, 2015 at 2:59 AM
  This message has been viewed 407 times.

In Reply To Your funny.... posted by Greg D. (Specialty-Z) on June 25, 2015 at 09:21 PM

Message I have 8 years of experience with over a dozen engines. I've tuned a few and worked on the VG30 extensively (but not tuned it yet). I've also built a handful.

I calculated different DCRs for VTC on and off situations. Please re-read my previous post. VTC is great, but it's basic compared with many VTEC systems and more modern VVT.

Sure, the VG30DE/TT is more sophisticated than an old domestic motor. It isn't nearly as sophisticated as a last generation Audi engine though. Z32 electronics are a piece of cake compared with CANBUS coding for example. At their heart, 4 stroke engines all function similarly with the same 4 cycles. 1910's board track racers could hit 150mph with their 4 strokers.

We can learn a good deal from other engines. Have you ever wondered why Nissan didn't use a VIAS on the VG30DE plenum? The 3000gt used one of these systems on its 24 valve NA motor with great results.

To the OP- I would be careful when selecting a camshaft. If you go too big, you may be leaving power on the table (just as you may if you go too small).

"Too Little, Too Late
All this originated with our first Agent 87 engine when we combined an 8.75:1 static compression ratio with a Comp Cams Xtreme Energy camshaft. This combination looked good on the dyno and made 426 lb-ft of torque at 4,000 rpm and 390 hp at 6,000, but the engine never ran the way we expected at the dragstrip. Later, we performed a cranking compression test on this engine that delivered a dismal 140 psi. This is a low cranking compression, especially when you compare it to engines like the ZZ4 350ci/345hp crate engine that makes around 190 psi or the current HT 383 with 9.1:1 compression and a big hydraulic-roller camshaft that still thumps with 185 psi (see "Pressure Packed" sidebar)."

[ http://www.superchevy.com/how-to/81679-tuning-engine-compression/ ]

Follow Ups  

Post a
Followup

You cannot reply to this message because you are not logged in.